Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day One:

Here is day one of "A Messenger's Journey." Hope you like!


Evening of Day One.
The 35th day of the 8th year of King Naurond.
            I have finally left that dreary castle with all its tradition, tittering ladies and proud servants. It has been good to be out in the free air without both male and female perfume in your nose all the time. Just me and my horse out on the road in the company of several other messengers with their horses. The King has amply provided us with food, which is well because after so long sitting in the saddle, I’m glad to get down and eat something. We left early this morn, but without pomp and ceremony. Thank heaven for that, just the King and a couple of Lords came to bid us farewell and give us a year’s worth of counsels.
            I have waited for my chance to go out on messenger duty and my turn has finally come up. I just can’t get over it. As I turned back to have a finally look at Ruglemindand, I felt just a tad homesick, but when one is on duty, one cannot let oneself give in to personal feelings.
            We have ridden approximately ten and one half hours, not counting waiting for the animals to rest and refresh themselves. Hopefully in three days we will have reached Mugum where the four of us will separate, each to carry out the King’s messages. Now I must get some rest, or else I will have no strength for tomorrow, and whatever comes after. 

2 comments:

  1. The beginning of a story? What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! At least I hope it will be :) You can read the introduction in my last post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...